Wednesday 7 July 2010

A Love Letter to Japan

Dear Japan,

I know that we haven't been together for very long, but I can no longer keep myself from saying these words. I think I love you.

At first, I thought that this would be no more than a fling. We would have some laughs together, I assumed, and then I would go back to what I knew. But now that we are together, I can't bear the thought of leaving you. Perhaps it is too soon; I know that we are still in the honeymoon phase, but sometimes I dream that we are seperated, and I can't bear it.

Things have not always been easy between us, I know. Sometimes it is as if we don't speak the same language, but we always get by somehow. As time goes by, I feel that I understand you more and more, although I know you will never truly reveal your secrets to me. That is, after all, a part of your charm, and I wouldn't want it any other way.


Sometimes you surprise me, your mood swinging from warm and loving to tempestous and stormy within the same day. You make me shiver, you make me sweat, but later on you caress me with your warmth and I know that we were always meant to be together.

Now will be the true test of our relationship, though, Japan. As the summer approaches, I know that things will get hotter between us. Perhaps I won't be able to stand it, perhaps I will feel suffocated and afraid. The easy thing for me to do would be to run away, but can I do that, knowing that I might be throwing away something special? We could have a real future together, but if that is mean to happen then I will have to learn to love everything about you, or at least find a way to accept it.

So, please don't be frightened by what I say. I'm not proposing anything permanent... but I think that this might be more than just a fling. You make me happier than I have been for a long time. It would be foolish to throw that away so soon, would it not? So, I ask of you, let me stay with you for a while. Let me in; I want know your secrets, to discover your history, and to hear your stories. We could be good together.

Love, Gwynnie
----x-------

3 comments:

  1. Great blog - you won't ever leave Japan you know - I came for 2 weeks in 2006, then visited for several more mini holidays after that, then stayed for a year in 2007-2008, then finally gave in and committed myself in 2010!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gwynnie, I am so happy that Japan is proving to be a great adventure and a place that you love. I cannot even tell you how jealous I am! You have your own space, a job and are learning every day in a new environment. It seems so exciting! I'm hoping that Ben and I can visit someday and have you as our guide =)

    Take care love xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very, very nice, Gwynnie! But I have to confess I'm in love with Japan, too. You're gonna have to share! ;)

    ReplyDelete